SCHUMACHER Companies is currently seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Irrigation Foreman/Technician to install, repair, and troubleshoot in-ground landscape sprinkler systems.
Nature of Work
This position typically reports to either a Construction or Maintenance Manager/Supervisor and this position requires extensive knowledge of various types of underground sprinkler systems. This position is expected to primarily install irrigation systems at residential properties, commercial site/office parks, public lawn and garden spaces and at institutional sites. This position may also assist with the repairs or modifications of existing irrigation systems, start-ups and winterization, management of existing irrigation systems, as well as assisting with miscellaneous service related inquiries.
This job requires physical abilities such as trunk strength, manual dexterity, and wrist-finger movement in order to perform the essential functions of the position.
Examples of Duties
The following list provides examples of the most typical duties for positions in this job class. Individual positions may not include all of the examples listed, nor does the list include all of the work that may be assigned to positions in this job class.
- Installs new conventional drip and sprinkler systems, including the installation and wiring of the controller/clock, creating and installing valve assemblies/manifolds, wiring of the solenoids, etc.
- Basic 2-Wire System knowledge is preferred, but will train the right applicant.
- Removes old systems (as needed) and recovers reusable equipment.
- Understands installation and operation of rain sensors and soil moisture sensors.
- Programs all aspects of controller including multiple schedules; troubleshoots controller and wiring issues, solenoid valves, and heads of all types.
- Ability to track buried electrical components and solenoids and find and repairs faults and breaks.
- As needed, “mark-up” irrigation plan for new installations to reflect as-built locations of sleeves, main line, low-voltage wire, valve locations, etc.
- Ability to read, understand and follow irrigation drawings for new installations.
- Assess existing systems to help develop a master plan or as-built conditions.
- Instruct others in minor irrigation repairs.
- Demonstrated ability to safely and effectively operate irrigation trenchers/pullers to install pipes.
- May assist in coordination with other company departments/functions or outside contractors.
- Performs other general grounds-keeping and maintenance duties as needed and requested by Construction or Maintenance Managers/Supervisors.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently run a crew and be responsible for all facets of field operations.
- Performs all functions with safety considerations first.
- Adheres to company policies at all times.
- Follows directions from superiors at all times and demonstrates the ability to positively function in a team environment.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
This position requires a minimum of two years of underground lawn sprinkler system repair and installation experience; OR, equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. This position requires a clean driving record and valid driver’s license, pre-employment drug screen required. Possess a valid driver’s license.
Special Working Conditions
Working conditions include confined spaces or restricted movement, dirty/dusty environments, exposure to various temperatures and weather (summer heat, high humidity, rain and wind), machine/equipment related noise, lifting or carrying heavy objects (approx. 50 pounds), manual labor to dig pits and open trenches. In addition, this position may be required to come into work on weekends, some holidays and in emergency situations (i.e., may be subject to “on-call” responsibilities).